Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Adoption


"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
~ Willa Cather

Families who are pulled toward adoption are often surprised when they are met with opposition. I know I was, and the only thing I could do was accept it and move on. Not everyone is going to understand your desire to love and adopt a child that isn't yours ... a child who belongs to no one. You may encounter bias, racism and cynicism–sometimes from your own family, but hearts can change (as did my own mother's) and how lucky are those who love beyond race–beyond biological ties, and even beyond the constraints of culture and entire continents. It's true what they say about that undeniable "pull" of the heart that adoptive families feel. I know, because I felt it too, and what other choice did I have but to follow, and I'm so glad I did. My story of adoption, like so many, is nothing short of remarkable. There were brick walls and triumphs, hardships and times of downright despair, but the one constant that kept us going was love. As difficult as the process of adoption was, we never stopped believing that we could and would bring our child home, and even more remarkable were the many people–from friends & family to complete strangers–who helped and supported us along the way. I have so many people to thank, who, without them Yonas would most likely have succumbed to HIV/AIDS and died without ever knowing the love of a family. Willa Cather, a great voice in American literature, once said, "Where there is great love, there are always miracles." Believe that.


2 comments:

Deb said...

One of my most frequently recurring arguments with my mother was about adoption. "Biology trumps all!" she'd tell me. "You'll understand when you're a parent."

I'm a parent now, and I remain as firmly convinced now as I was twenty years ago that adoptive parents are the parents--period--to their adopted children. Parenting is a collection of acts of love and sacrifice for another human being, not whose body carried a life through to its entry into the world.

Thanks for the beautiful post!

Author and HIV/AIDS Advocate–Suzan Stirling said...

Thank you, Deb, and well said!! I couldn't agree with you more : )