Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Reach For It!

Do you know what it is that you want in life? Think about it. What is it, right this very moment, that you want more than anything else? It could be just one thing, or many––something small or something so tremendous that you may be afraid to even try and reach for it. That's okay. Reach for it anyway!

What's life without risk? What is there to strive for, if not some "impossible" feat? I don't know if I've ever been so disappointed as when I read an article, years back, where a world recognized AIDS researcher was quoted as saying, "We will never find a cure for HIV."

I was devastated. To think, that someone held in such high regard, someone in charge of an entire health Institute, could have so little faith or conviction. I mean, seriously. What if Edison had said there would never be light, or what if the great men behind the first rocket-ship to the moon had said it was impossible–we'll never get there?

You have to reach for what you want. BELIEVE for what you want. I BELIEVE we'll see the cure for HIV, and right now, this very minute, there are some amazing, scientific minds who are believing for it too. They won't give up and neither will I. I simply cannot. And if you're a mom, or know and love someone with HIV, then you understand.

What is it that you want for with all your being? A new car? A book deal? A healthy child? A cure for a disease that was once proclaimed impossible to cure? Whatever it is...don't let the nay-sayers, or your own uncertainty hold you back. Start today, and just reach for it.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Stumbled across this post today...and it brought tears to my eyes. We are working on adopting another child, and not gonna' lie, it is a huge stretch! This baby is a "pre-identified child" in China - very hard sort of adoption to get done- so that is strike one against us. The fees will be a hardship, strike two! We aren't getting any younger and have 4 children at home still (with 2 older in college), strike three! BUT, we have to try! This little girl means so much to us...my oldest daughter (adopted as an infant herself from Korea) volunteered at a foster home in China this past spring/early summer and cared for this baby for a month. We love this little one so deeply already...maybe it will turn out to be impossible, but we just have to make the effort...she is worth it!

Author and HIV/AIDS Advocate–Suzan Stirling said...

Amy,
I totally understand where you're coming from. Same thing happened to me! It's a pull of the heart you just can't ignore. It probablly won't be easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is, huh?

I'm glad you found my blog and I hope that you're able to bring your little girl home! Thanks for posting this heartfelt post...you brought tears to my eyes too.