Adoption, Family, HIV/AIDS Education


Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A "MOM" MOMENT


Is there anything greater than watching your children grow and discover new, hidden talents? I think not. I'm always trying to introduce my three to new things that I hope will interest them. Sometimes successfully and sometimes not! Yonas, my youngest, is nine. He's in that discovery phase and excels at just about anything until he gets bored with it. There have been tap dance lessons, soccer at the "Y" and right now, it's anything and everything football.

Alee, my college girl, has always had an inborn skill for organization, attention to details, and is amazing with WORDS so it came as no surprise when she chose English as her major. The girl is amazing, meticulous, and passionate about literature. I could so see her as an Editor-in-Chief at some fabulous magazine or acquiring books for Simon & Schuster one day. Amazing as they all are, I have to admit that it's Mitchell (the quiet one) who's surprised me the most lately.

Mitchell is perhaps the most like me when I was his age–although he's much smarter (and funnier) than I ever was! He's also very creative. At just fourteen, Mitch can draw like nobody's business, write music, and he's a self-taught pianist who learned to play Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata," by ear no less! But something I didn't know about Mitch is that he's also a writer! That's right...Mitch's first published piece will be appearing in his high school's literary magazine near the end of the school year, and you know, proud mom that I am, I'll be posting it right here!

It's fun being a mom, and it's going to be even more incredible to watch and see what other hidden talents and passions my kids develop over the years. And to think, there was a time when I didn't think we'd make it to here. Even now, that thought...that memory is still too much for me to bear so I push it back into that locked up place where I keep it. During that worst of times my coping strategy was simple–hold onto the little things and be grateful for the good, and even the not so good moments we have. Well, a crazy, wonderful thing happened. Those little moments grew bigger and better and my kids and I, we didn't die like I thought we would. Instead, we grew healthy and strong.

No doubt, seeing that dark side of life is what made me who I am. I can't help but appreciate the little things still, like Yonas kicking a soccer ball, or confiding with a scrunched up face that he really hates the tap dance class ; ) or the time that Alee and I were panicked to discover three hours before prom that the dress no longer fit, and how at the last minute we'd found the most perfect, beautiful gown hanging in a consignment window just up the street... Or the way that Mitchell hugged me this morning before he left for school and said, "Love you, Mom."

No, there isn't a minute that goes by that I don't thank God for what I've been given. I know I'm one lucky mom. I get to watch my kids grow talents and passions; I get to watch them grow-up. Yes, I'm definitely having one of those "Mom" moments...and I'm SO, so glad.
Sweet Dreams... My "Piano man" at age seven.

4 comments:

courtneywrites said...

I love this post. You remind us all what is really important in life. And clearly I know where your kids get the writing skills.

Also, did you know Jake G. is a play-by-ear pianist too? How do these boys do it?

Writer, AIDS Advocate, fuzzy animal lover, and soon to be debut author–represented by Jeanie Pantelakis of Sullivan Maxx Literary Agency. Visit: www.SuzanStirling.com said...

Thank you, Courtney! That is awesome about Jake..I don't know how they do it either...chop-stix is as far as I ever got, LOL! Sending you a big hug and hope to see you at "Time For Heroes" this June.

Mo said...

Go Mitchell!! That is excellent, I can't wait to read it!

Writer, AIDS Advocate, fuzzy animal lover, and soon to be debut author–represented by Jeanie Pantelakis of Sullivan Maxx Literary Agency. Visit: www.SuzanStirling.com said...

Hi Mo! I'll pass this on to Mitch...he'll smile from ear to ear!