Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Annie Lennox and Yonas?

Being the big American Idol fan that I am, I couldn't resist sharing this story (and beautiful song) once again.

I cried when I saw this video. I was so surprised to see my child's face near the end of this! Unfortunatley, we didn't have it video recorded, but I was able to find it on YouTube. This footage is so special because four years ago, my son Yonas was an orphan living in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. (Adoption Story Here).

One evening, not long after Yonas came home to America, we were all sitting in the family room watching Idol Gives Back. Annie Lennox, a singer dedicated to the fight against AIDS, was on the screen singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water," when, just a couple of minutes into the song, on the screen behind her flashed Yonas's smiling face! Well, all of our jaws dropped, including Yonas's! We just couldn't believe it. Watch the video below and listen closely to the lyrics; just as Yonas's face comes on the screen, Annie sings, "Your chance has come to shine...all your dreams are on their way..." It still gives me chills. Those beautiful words carry significant meaning, and always will.

It's difficult, even now, when I think back to what my son's life was like before we found him. I know that whatever pain he endured, his spirit somehow soared regardless. So, yes–once upon a time, my son was an orphan. But he's not an orphan anymore. I bet Annie would be happy to know that.

Today, Yonas has a home, food and access to medicines that will keep him healthy for a lifetime; he also has a family who loves him beyond measure. Like the song said, "Your chance has come to shine...all your dreams are on their way." I do believe that. Thank you, Annie, wherever you are, for the song, the music and all you do in the fight against HIV/AIDS. We love you for it.

Annie's SING site here

SHARE THIS POST
Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Kasiah Banks said...

That is so cool. I'm definitely going to have to show Ben when he gets home from work. So glad to have stumbled across your blog. Lots of love from our family to yours.

Positively Orphaned said...

I recognized him right away! Amazing! I guess I had never been an Annie fan until she wore that Positive shirt. That was all it took for me. She makes an incredible statement for awareness and I admire her so much now. SSSOOOOOOOO happy Y has such a wonderful family now. Your family truly amazes me.

Jennifer Lunn said...

Hello Suzan,
In my email box this morning was a link to your website via a Google Alert I have set up for a personal hero of mine(ours) -Annie Lennox.

La Lennox is not only a musical icon to me and millions of others -her humanitarian efforts on behalf of the millions of South African women and children stricken with HIV/AIDS speaks to my heart. I've participated in small ways in her SING campaign and will do more in the future I'm sure. I briefly met her once in Toronto and I was immediately struck by her warmth and graciousness.

Your own family story is a wonderful one - an inspiration of its own! How fortunate your children are to have you as their Mom. I have clicked myself as a follower of your family's unfolding story. :)

jen

Marissa said...

That is awesome! Was he at AHOPE at the time, or was it prior to that?

Suzan said...

I enjoy reading these comments so much. Thank you for reading AND posting!

courtneywrites said...

I was telling this story to a friend today -- remains the one of the coolest coincidences I've ever heard of. I hope word has gotten to Annie! I'm sure she'd want to know!