Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

My Secret...

                                              Tell people you're a writer, or an AIDS advocate and the response is always a good one. Tell them you make lampshades, and watch their eyes seriously roll to the back of their head. "Lampshades, huh? Oh, that's nice," and they quickly change the subject. I've learned that it's definitely not something to broadcast at cocktail parties, or *clears throat* my blog, for that matter, but today I just figured why not get it off my chest? So here's my confession, "My name is Suzan, and when I'm not writing... I like to make lampshades." *Big sigh* Hey! That felt pretty good. I've even posted a couple pictures of some favorite shades. The one above was made from a silk embroidered Japanese tablecloth I purchased for five bucks on Ebay.

My biggest claim to lampshade fame? A few years ago, I was thrilled to have one of my shades (a little Art-Deco number) place third in a contest and it was later displayed at the American Sewing and Art Expo. I'm especially drawn to period lighting from the twenties and thirties.  After my husband replaces the old wiring I go to work on creating the perfect lamp shade. Sometimes I use antique fabrics and appliques. Each fabric panel is sewn by hand, and just one of these little beauties takes about a month to complete. But the results are always worth it! 

A beautiful floor lamp from the twenties.
Here's the shade I made for it! One of my favorites...

                                    A lampshade in the making : )
The moral of the story? There isn't one...Have fun today and don't forget to give in to your creative passions no matter how quirky they may seem.  

“Creativity is contagious. Pass it on.” — Albert Einstein

5 comments:

Darcy Zwier said...

Beautiful work Suzan. If you have any orphan lampshades, I will give them a home. I've got an 1859 Italianate that would enjoy their company! lol

Suzan said...

LOL...1859 Italianate? WOW! I bet is a beauty!!

Andrea H. said...

You are are really good at it. So talented!

Suzan said...

Thank you, Andrea : )

Chantelle said...

Wow! GORGEOUS shades!!! WOW!