Adoption, Family, HIV/AIDS Education


Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Happy Apples


Last night I'm flipping through the pages of The Saturday Evening Post when I come across this old-fashioned recipe for baked apples on the grill. First off, let me shamelessly admit that I am not, nor will I ever claim to be, the apple baking, pie crust rolling type, but sometimes life warrants that you step out of your box and try something that you otherwise would never EVER do. That said, my girl, Alee and I are taking a totally out-of-character, off the charts big chance by baking apples today. There's nothing chancy about baking apples, you say? Well, then you haven't seen Alee and I together in the kitchen before. This could get very messy VERY quick. Stay tuned, friends...
We did it!! : ) Okay, so the apples have been in the oven for about fifteen minutes now and I'm not kidding when I say that my whole house is smelling crazy, happy, wonderful good! Which is a welcome thing because this weekend did not get off to the greatest start. Friday began with a hail storm and it's been drizzling rain ever since. With no outside play, the boys have been glued to the PlayStation for hours, but I've got a feeling "the apples" may bring them out of their cave very soon.  In fact, I think I hear them coming now : )

I was right... Happy apples, happy kids! A great rainy day recipe, for sure : ) 
 
(Pre-heat oven 375 degrees)
 
4 medium tart apples, cored (I like honey-crisp)
1/3 cup raisens
1/3 cup flaked coconut
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
*Boil 1/2 cup of water and pour into bottom of pan and bake for 30-40 minutes (until tender but not mushy) or, if it's not raining, wrap in foil and stick on the grill for 20!

SHARE THIS POST
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Kirsten Lesko said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe!