Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

Toot your horns people... My novel's finished!

A beautiful fountain in the heart of Madison, Indiana

Besides my family, I'd have to say that my biggest passion in life is writing. It always has been. Even when I was a young girl, I turned to books and writing at every pass; a habit that's followed me into adulthood. It gives me a great sense of appreciation when someone tells me that something I've written has touched them in some way. I think that's the whole point of writing for me. That and of course the obvious–it's just plain fun. Fiction especially. I have a couple of writer friends who've published memoirs recently. One such writer is Kim Michele Richarson. Her memoir, The Unbreakable Child is a must read. The story is riveting and the writing supreme. If you only read one book this month, this is the one... You will find yourself rooting for justice with each turn of the page!
I really have to commend anyone brave enough to write a memoir. The truth is so much harder to write than fiction. I have a rough draft of my own story buried in a trunk somewhere that one day I will tackle. One day, but not this day! For now, I'll stick with fiction, because it's easier to write and I love the challenge of developing characters and dreaming up compelling plots. I've always had a facination with Madison, a small town in Indiana that stretches along the river. About this time last year, my husband and I made the drive across the Milton-Madison bridge to attend the Chatauqua Art Festival. It was a warm, muggy day and as we sat looking out over the river, soaking up the wonderful music and festivities, a story started to take root inside of me... A story about a girl I didn't know yet, but over the course of a year she would grow to become a friend, and character that I will never forget. Well, I worked very hard and the novel is finished. I can't give away any of the details yet but I can say that two agents in NY have requested a read. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks for visiting today and I'll be sure to keep you posted as to how this new "chapter" in my life unfolds...

SHARE THIS POST
Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Signe said...

How exciting. I love to read, and can't wait to read this novel. We will be praying for positive responses, and publishing, so we can read it.

Love the picture, by the way.

Amy Jo said...

Suzan!!! Congrats!!!! I pray that your memoir is picked up by a great publisher and many are blessed thru your story. Sweet blessings, Amy

Andrea H. said...

Good for you. I am so happy for you and pray that it will all work out. Please keep us posted so we can buy your book. Can't wait!

Suzan said...

Thank you, Signe, Amy Jo and Andrea for the lovely comments and well wishes!