Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Summer Days

SLIPPIN' AND A SLIDIN' THROUGH A SUMMER OF FUN!
Remember the lyrics from that song in the movie Grease, summer days are drifting away...? I know that's exactly how a lot us are feeling right now. I can hardly believe that we only have two weeks before the kids are back to school. This summer has gone by way too fast, but isn't that always the way it goes? 
We packed in as much fun as we could. There were early mornings spent playing golf, lazy days sleeping in late, Slip-N-Slide fun in the back yard, pool parties, Harry Potter movie nights, board games (can you believe the kids had never played Scrabble?!) and plenty of barbeques out on the deck... Oh, and the boys even found a stranded turtle and returned him back to the wild. I got my wake up call this afternoon that all this bliss was coming to an end when my son, Mitch, said, "Hey Mom, shouldn't we be getting our school supplies here pretty soon? Or are we waiting til the last minute like we usually do?" He's a funny kid. 
"School supplies?" I asked, surprised. "Oh geez! It's not that time again?! Not so soon?"
"Yes, Mother, it's time...again." He then gave me that perfected thirteen-year-old smirk. 
Determined to be on my game this year, we grabbed our supply lists and Alee (who just got her license today) drove us, making a beeline for the closest Walgreens. I prayed the whole way that  1. We'd make it there safely, and 2. That they wouldn't be out of the green composition notebooks like last year. 
Once safely inside the store and armed with a cart a piece, the boys loaded up on glue, crayons, backpacks, pencils, wide-ruled paper and almost every green composition notebook available to mankind! We are off to a good start... I hope you are too, and–like the song–hope you enjoy these last "summer days driftin' away..." 

YES, THOSE ARE CLAWS ON THIS SNAPPING TURTLE THE BOYS RESCUED!
ALEE GOT A FAN FOR HER DORM

SHARE THIS POST
Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your a great Mom!
Your kids are sooo lucky to have you.
Your husband

Anonymous said...

And the turtle is pretty lucky too!

Suzan said...

I'm lucky too. Love you, honey...er, I mean anonymous!

Andrea H. said...

Great you had such an awesome summer. Sounds like so much fun. Sorry your kids have to go back so soon. The turtle is really adorable.

Signe said...

Don't you love having the school supply thing checked off the to do list? My oldest started driving this week, as well. It has been good so far.