Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

HISTORY IN THE MAKING


Today, like millions of Americans, I find myself glued to the television set as the inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama, America's 44th President of the United States, grows near. My husband, who is an electrical contractor, is out working in frigid temperatures today. Even so, he's managed to carve out an hour to come home for lunch so that we can watch this incredible moment in history together. I am filled with anticipation and a great sense of hope for the American people. In one of Obama's recent speeches, it was gratifying to hear him address the American people in a manner I'd not heard a President do before. He named us, showing equal regard to men, women, black, white, Hispanic, gay, straight, Christian, Muslim, believer, non-believer, disabled or abled. He said no matter who we are–we all share a commonality–we are all Americans. Freedom as such, it was what this great country was founded on. Today, as we near this monumental day in history, I feel incredibly proud to have played my small part in it all by casting that vote last November. I don't think I'm alone when I say that I feel a sense of great hope for our tomorrow, and I look forward to seeing where this great man will lead our country.

No comments: